The temperatures are really cooling down here in Maine. Now is the time of year we start up our wood stove and ours has been running every night for the past week. Wood heat zaps the moisture from the air, and my skin and hair are really feeling the effects of it.
So I decided to give my dry fizzy hair a little TLC, by making a hydrating warm oil treatment. This treatment is not only hydrating, but promotes hair growth and a healthy scalp.
What you will need.
- Glass jar
- Shower cap
- ½ Cup of Concoct Oil
- ¼ Cup of Olive or Avocado Oil
- 3 Tbsp. of Castor Oil (for fine hair 1-2 Tbsp.)
- 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 5 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of Cedarwood essential oil
- First boil 1 ½-2 Cups of water in a small pot and remove from heat.
- Place the coconut oil in a glass jar and place the jar in the boiling hot water, and allow it to melt.
- Once the coconut oil has melted, add the Olive (or Avocado oil) and the Castor Oil.
- Next add the essential oils and place the cover on the jar.
- Gently invert the jar 8-10 times.
- Apply to dry hair. I found it easier to take 4-5 tbsp. of the oil and place it in a small dish.
- Rub oil into hands and distribute evenly on to your scalp, working the oil down the hair shaft.
- Once applied throughout the hair, massage your scalp for 3-5 minutes.
- Place a plastic shower cap over you hair and allow the oil to stay in your hair for 15-30 minutes.
- Risen thoroughly and shampoo. You may need to shampoo 2 times.
- You can apply conditioner, but I usually just rub some coconut oil through my hands and distribute it through the ends of my hair.
Store the remaining oil in a cool dark place. Depending on the ambient temperature, you may need to heat the oils to use. The coconut oil will solidify in cooler temperatures. To use the oil simply boil water in a small pot as you did to melt the coconut oil, remove from heat, and set the jar in the boiling water. Once melted, invert the jar again to mix the oils. *Caution the jar may be hot*
Your hair will be soft, shiny, and color will look deeper. This oil is good to use every 2-3 weeks.